Friday 27 April 2012

X is for ... X

Ugh. X.

Let's just get this over and done with, shall we? Because X in Roman numerals means 10, I found 10 'x' words which I didn't already know. Blah blah blah. Is it time for Y yet?

I. Xenopus - an African clawed frog.
II. Xeric - of, pertaining to, or adapted to a dry environment.
III. Xyloid - resembling wood (derived from the same Greek word as xylophone - xylos, meaning 'wood').
IV. Xiphoid - sword shaped (again from Greek - xyphos, meaning 'sword').

Did I promise that I wouldn't have any more Classics-related bloglets in this challenge? I have a feeling I did.

V. Xylocarp - a fruit, such as a coconut, having a hard woody pericarp.

Incidentally, I then had to look up pericarp - the walls of a ripened ovary or fruit, sometimes consisting of three layers, the epicarp, the mesocarp, and endocarp.

VI. Xyster - a surgical instrument for scraping bones.
VII. Xanthous - yellow or yellowish.
VIII. Xenogamy - pollination of the stigma of a flower by pollen from a flower on another plant.
IX. Xerus - an African ground squirrel, having spiny fur, very short ears and a long tail.
X. Xebec - a small, three-masted vessel of the Mediterranean.


I'm sorry. Tomorrow's bloglet will be better. And possibly not rainbow-coloured.

(All definitions pinched from Dictionary.com)

4 comments:

  1. This is not boring. I particularly want to meet the Xerus. But I don't ever want to have any contact with a Xyster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the intro to some x words. I should have read your blog before I did my post today. Then I would have found an x word that connects to my nature theme. Xylocarp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yep, X was definitely a difficult one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want a Xenopus. I would call him Frank and it would be awesome! Great blog x

    ReplyDelete