Friday 13 April 2012

L is for ... Latin


Okay, last Classics-related bloglet of the challenge, I promise.

No, that's a lie. There'll be another one next week unless I change my mind.

Oh well, NEARLY the last Classics-related bloglet of the challenge.


So 'L' is for Latin, and so that I don't actually bore anyone to actual death (actually), I'll try to keep things short.

Anyone who tells you that Latin is a dead language clearly hasn't stopped for a minute to think about the utter ridiculousness of that statement. Of course Latin isn't dead: we read and use it all the time. Some of us just don't realise it. I've rounded up some particularly popular little abbreviations to show just how alive and kicking Latin is.



e.g. = exempli gratia (for the sake of an example)
i.e. = id est (that is)
N.B. = nota bene (note well)
P.S. = post scriptum (written after)
am = ante meridiem (before midday)
pm = post meridiem (after midday)
etc = et cetera (and the rest)
lb = libra (pound)
MO = modus operandi (method of operating)
R.I.P = requiescat in pace (may he rest in peace)

See? We use it all the time! If it's such a dead language, someone forgot to tell Latin.

1 comment: