Saturday 12 May 2012

Saturday Song: Runaway Horses


It has recently come to my attention that it's quite common to blog about a particular subject or theme on a particular day of the week. I have never been this disciplined with my blog (it's called inane ramblings for a reason, folks) but I've decided to have a go at it, just for one day a week to start with.

You can still expect the same rambly, inane musings you've grown to love (admit it: it's true), but Saturdays will now see a little more structure. Each week I'll choose one song to write about and include a video of said song. It's an idea I tried out (extremely unsuccessfully) on twitter that will hopefully work much better in bloglet format.

So, without further ado, this week's song is Runaway Horses by Belinda Carlisle.


The first album I owned (on cassette!) was The Spice Girls. That must have been around 1995. Before then, when my family and I went on long car journeys, we would always listen to my dad's CDs. Apart from Meatloaf, his taste in music was pretty good (don't tell him though) and my sister and I would be allowed to choose from 5 or 6 of his albums. I don't think we ever needed other options: we always chose Belinda Carlisle.

For some reason her album became known by Sarah and myself simply as 'Doo-Doo-Dares', so whenever Mum or Dad asked what we wanted to listen to, we'd request, in unison, "DOO-DOO-DARES!" Of the whole album, Runaway Horses was always our favourite. We would insist the volume was turned up and would shout along gleefully to the chorus every time it came round.

It's weird how even now when I hear the quiet tinkly build up at the start of the song I feel excited: I feel like I'm 7 years old again and sitting in the back of my dad's car. And it's ace.

What song transports you back to childhood?

2 comments:

  1. OH, I remember liking Belinda Carlisle as a youngster, but this one didn't ring a bell at all... thanks for sharing it!

    I'm trying out an editorial calendar for the month of May. Like you, I've always been a "write whatever the heck I feel like writing today" kind of blogger, but I'm trying out this whole "planned thing" for a month. We'll see if it sticks around...

    Jo
    In Which We Start Anew

    ReplyDelete
  2. My best friend and I always blasted Barbie Girl by Aqua anytime we were in the car together. I can't hear that song and not smile. We'll still play it on the way to places together now.

    I like your Saturday Song idea. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do now that A to Z is over too.

    ReplyDelete